The ULTRA-TRAIL Mt. FUJI is an unparalleled event that challenges the human spirit through the outdoor sport of trail running. By connecting mountain trails, local footpaths and forest roads around the foothills of Mt. Fuji, this 165km course allows participants to enjoy majestic 360 degree views of Mt. Fuji while experiencing the stunning natural beauty and culture of this region.
- The ULTRA-TRAIL Mt. FUJI is not about winning or competing against others. The objective of this extraordinary 168km trail journey around the perimeter of Mt. Fuji is to provide a challenge in which you can explore your physical and mental limits and discover new possibilities within yourself.
- RESPECT FOR NATURE
- Japan’s culture has always been deeply interconnected with nature. However, in recent times, people have started to lose sight of this important connection. This race aims to cultivate respect towards the natural environment through the outdoor sport of trail running.
- SHARING THE TRAILS
- These trails have been created over many years by the people who live, work and enjoy the mountains. This race aims to foster a mutual respect and understanding between these different users and help communicate and promote the sharing of these trails.
Connected to the world
The ULTRA-TRAIL Mt. FUJI is an official member of the International Trail Running Association (ITRA) and the Ultra-Trail World Tour (UTWT).
Our race aims to promote trail running by strengthening the relationship between trail runners and race organizers from around the world.
- International Trail Running Association (ITRA)
Established in July 2013, the ITRA is an international entity committed to bringing together members of the global trail running community and promoting the sport of trail running. The association’s activities encompass a wide range of objectives including the establishment of common values and ethics, the development of anti-doping policies, the improvement of race quality and safety standards, as well as the development of environmental guidelines. Members include trail running associations from around the world as well as race organizers and individual trail runners.
The UTMF is a committed member of this organization and our race director, Tsuyoshi Kaburaki, serves on the ITRA Steering Committee.
- ULTRA-TRAIL WORLD TOUR (UTWT)
The UTWT is an international circuit of ultra-distance trail running races that includes some of the best and most prestigious races from around the world. Selection criteria include course length (over 100km), race content that showcases the unique features of that region, race organization quality and successful completion of at least two editions. By participating in these races, racers can earn points which count towards the UTWT overall world ranking.
The UTWT started with 7 races in 2014 and has expanded to 12 races in 2016. The ULTRA-TRAIL Mt. FUJI has been part of the UTWT since the start and continues to be a proud member of this world-class trail running circuit.
|1||Jan 23||Vibram® Hong Kong 100||Hong Kong, China|
|2||Feb 6||Tarawera Ultramarathon||New Zealand|
|3||Mar 4-6||Transgrancanaria HG||Spain|
|4||Apr 8-18||Marathon des Sables||Morocco|
|5||Apr 23||Madeira Island Ultra-Trail||Madeira Island, Portugal|
|6||May 11-15||Ultra-Trail Australia||Australia|
|7||Jun 24||The North Face® Lavaredo Ultra-Trail||Italy|
|8||Jun 25-26||The Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run||USA|
|9||Jul 16-17||Eiger Ultra-Trail||Switzerland|
|10||Aug 26||UTMB®||France, Italy, Switzerland|
|11||Sep 23-25||Ultra-Trail Mt.Fuji||Japan|
|12||Oct 20-23||La Diagonale des Fous||Réunion Island, France|